We all have fears in our life! They can protect us from danger, but they can also stop us from doing the things we really want or like. There are all sorts of fears: Fear of not being good enough, not doing the right thing, losing a loved one, fear of too much success or too little, fear of death, pain and even love.
One thing is for sure, you should start to work on them, so you can make progress in your life!
Here are 3 simple steps to overcome your fears:
1.) Understand that fear has it’s good and bad sides!
As I said before, fear is a part of our life! It can defend us from accidents and making dangerous things, but can also stand in the way!
Imagine fear as a huge wall between you and your dreams. You should at least start to make the wall smaller, so you can climb over to the other side!
It will slow you down but no longer will stop you from achieving your dreams!
2.) List out all your fears!
Ask yourself: What I am afraid of? What are my fears?
Start to write down all your fears!
A good way to do it is to make a separate list of fears related to the following areas:
- Work and career– ie.: I fear my boss will fire me)
- Yourself (skills, emotions etc.) -ie.: I fear I cannot fulfil my dream life.
- Health – ie. I fear I will become sick one day.
- Private life -ie. I fear I won’t find the love of my life.
- Money – ie. I fear I won’t be able to earn enough money.
Add another category if you feel it’s important for you!
3.) Wrap up!
Now look at your fear lists and read through again, so you get a general overview. Look at it again and use the below questions to evaluate this exercise:
- Is there anything in common? A main theme of fear?
- What percentage of your fears is really relevant?
- What can you do to make the fear smaller? (i.e.: eat healthy, learn a new skill, use positive affirmations etc.)
Click here to read “3 negative thinking beliefs that are stopping you from living the life You want!”